St John, Piddinghoe
Places Of Worship
Title: St John, Piddinghoe
Description: Originating in Norman times but restored in 1882, this flint church is one of only three churches in Sussex to have a round tower. It has been suggested that a round tower is cheaper to build, as no quoin stones were required. The tower may also have been constructed as a watchtower or a distinctive navigation mark, we will probably never know the real reason. Located on the bank of the River Ouse, the design of the roof acknowledges the windiness of the site, as it is very low on the riverside. Kipling makes reference to the church in his poem ‘Sussex', talking about the dolphin shaped weathervane, although it is actually a salmon.
Address: Off Lewes Road, , Piddinghoe, East Sussex